The quality of the macramé cords determines much about its appearance and touch. It is because good appearance and smooth touch gives a professional look. Thus, while making selection of the cords, it is necessary to choose the right cords that will have accurate size, color and length. It is not only useful for the beginners but professionals are also highly concerned about such things. There are some qualities that ensure the top quality of the macramé cord. They are as-
- Composition- First of all you would want to know what materials macramé cord is composed of. It is important to know before making any choice as materials decide much about the quality. Macramé artists have been using hemp and jute. These are not easily available in the market which has influenced the demand of the macramé cords that are made from the satin and nylon. Nylon and satin are the man-made fibers.
- Strength- Jute, leather, nylon and ribbon are quite strong cords.
- Flexibility – The cord should be flexible enough so that it allows easy bending and curving as per requirements. Embroidery cotton cord is flexible and soft. The examples are – for necklace and bracelets experts recommend using thin cords.
- Texture- Some of the textures are not considered good for skin. Metallic and hemp cords harm the skin. Thus for making jewelry, silk, nylon, cotton and satin rayon are recommended.
- Thickness – While deciding about the width of cord, make sure that they easily get inserted into the buttons, beads and other embellishments. The cords that are above 4mm in thickness might require large decorations. An ideal size for bracelets, necklaces is less than 2mm.
- Length- The cord length is the over- all amount of cord required for the project. These cords come in rolls, short or large both so may decide whichever suits more according to the project.
These qualities serve as the basic criteria to make a selection of cord to ensure excellent outcome of the work